Introducing a Diwali delight! These cheat coconut truffles are a breeze to create and come together in under 10 minutes featuring affordable, readily available ingredients.
These delectable delights are not only gluten-free but also serve as exceptional Diwali gifts. Stay tuned as we guide you through the steps for crafting three variations—coconut, rose petal and pistachio-infused!
Serving: Approximately 16
Time: 10 minutes
3 cups desiccated coconut
1 tin sweetened condensed milk (395 grams)
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 tablespoon of essence (either vanilla, rosewater or almond, see below)
Food colouring of choice (see below)
Optional extras for decorations, 3 tablespoons of rose petals, 1/2 cup crushed pistachios, 1/2 cup extra desiccated coconut
Base mixture method:
1. Firstly, you’ll need to create your base. In a heavy saucepan, simply toast the coconut on medium heat for 2 minutes constantly moving the mixture with a wooden spoon so it doesn’t brown.
2. Then, add cardamom powder, desired essence and colouring (from the below options) and mix well until the colouring is even.
3. Pour a tin of condensed milk into the mixture and stir well over medium heat for 2 minutes until the mixture comes together, but still appears moist.
4. Take the mixture off the heat whilst still warm and set aside.
5. Cover hands in oil and scoop a heaped teaspoon into your palms to begin rolling it into a ball.
6. Lastly, finish off balls depending on your desired flavour.
In step 2, add rosewater and pink food colouring to the mixture after toasting the coconut. Once balls are rolled, finish off by rolling them in 1/2 cup dry uncoloured desiccated coconut.
Rose petal balls
In step 2, add rosewater essence and 1 or 2 drops of pink food colouring to the mixture. Once the mixture is cooked, mix 3 tablespoons of culinary rose petals through the mixture then roll into balls.
In step 2, add vanilla or almond essence and green food colouring to the mixture after toasting coconut. Once rolled into balls, roll them in the crushed pistachios.
Ladoos can be either kept in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for a month.